Application for exemption from Semesterticket

What is an exemption from the semester ticket?

In the case of an exemption from the semester ticket, the right to travel is withdrawn and the fees for the semester ticket are refunded.

The ticket must have been paid for in advance!

Who is entitled to apply for an exemption?

Eligible to apply for a full or partial exemption are all students who, in the semester of application.

  • ..spend at least 3 months outside of Berlin for study-related reasons, e.g.
    • practical semester or internship
    • within the scope of the final thesis
    • semester abroad
  • ..are enrolled in a supplementary, additional or postgraduate course of study
  • ..are enrolled in a part-time, doctoral or part-time study program
  • ..are on leave of absence
  • ..are unable to use public transport due to a disability or health reasons
  • ..are in possession of a handicapped pass with a token
  • ..have a BVG/VBB company ticket
  • ..have been enrolled late at the university
  • ..are also enrolled at another university in Berlin and receive a semester ticket from this university.

Other cases:

  • Students who exmatriculate (dropout or graduation) do not need to submit an application:
    The student administration automatically forwards us the exmatriculation applications of the respective students
  • Circumstances due to the Corona pandemic are no grounds for exemption.

Can I be exempt prior to transferring semester fees?

Students who take a leave of absence for the semester or enroll for a doctoral program can be exempted before re-registration and do not have to transfer the semester ticket fee at all. The student administration is responsible for this! All other students must transfer the normal fees and apply for a subsequent refund!

What do I have to consider when applying for a refund?

In order to be able to refund the amount, we have to revoke your travel authorization. If you have validated your CampusCard for the semester of application, you must send us the original CampusCard or hand it in to us so that we can remove the imprint with the travel authorization.

Students who have not yet validated their ticket do not need to send us their CampusCard: We will then only remove the travel authorization in the database; it will then no longer be possible to subsequently imprint the travel authorization.

What proof do I have to provide?

This varies depending on the reason for the application. A complete overview of the evidence required can be found on the back of the application form.

Submit application

Download application form as PDF

The signed application can be submitted by mail or e-mail, see Contact. Applications are available in the office and can be completed and handed in during office hours. When submitting an application by mail, the postmark counts as far as deadlines are concerned. All supporting documents can be submitted later.

Applications for the summer semester 2023 can be submitted from 01.07.2023.

Depending on the reason for the application, the later the application (and especially the CampusCard!) arrives, the fewer months can be refunded! It is important that the signed application (and the CampusCard, if applicable) is received by the respective deadline.

Deadlines SoSe 2023

Reason for exemptionDeadline
Absence from place of study    31.03.2023 or 14 days after occurence of reason
Leave of absence:30.05.2023 or 4 weeks after delayed immatriculation
Delayed immatriculation:4 week after immatriculation

Deadlines WiSe 23/24

Reason for exemptionDeadline
Absence from place of study    31.09.2023 or 14 days after occurence of reason
Leave of absence:27.11.2023 or 4 weeks after delayed immatriculation
Delayed immatriculation:4 week after immatriculation